Image Map

Sunday, November 22, 2015

6 Tips for Beautifully Styled Shelves/Shelving Decor Round Up

If you follow me on Instagram, then you know that last week I appeared on Studio 5, a local lifestyle program which airs on our NBC affiliate, KSL 5. When the producer of the show contacted me, she asked me if I would be willing to share my tips for styling bookcases like a pro. I, of course, said "YES!". I have to admit, I was a nervous wreck leading up to the taping of the show. I have never loved being in front of the camera, and the thought of thousands of people watching me was terrifying! I am happy to report that it went pretty well. I still can't watch the segment without cringing a little, but I don't know if I'll ever be fully confidant in my abilities in front of the camera.

I want to give a huge shout out to Brooke Walker, the host of Studio 5, and the entire team at KSL and Studio 5. They were incredibly helpful, gracious and encouraging. They put my nerves at ease and made me feel so comfortable. Thank you to you all! It was so nice meeting you. I had so much fun on set!

Since the show only airs here in Utah, I have included the clip of my segment below.




To recap, here are my 6 Tips for Beautifully Styled Shelves:

1. Break up the Placement of Books - Place your books both vertically and horizontally throughout your shelving, to break up lines. You can also color coordinate your books to maintain a cohesive look or turn bindings inward to create a neutral palette.

2. Use Decorative Objects - Use decorative objects to create interest in your shelving landscape. Decorative objects can be anything from vases to boxes, sculptures to bookends and beyond. Again, choose a color palette for the pieces that works with the decor of the room the shelving is in.

3. Incorporate Personal Items - You want your space to feel like it belongs to you! Fill your bookshelves with items that have meaning, weather they be pictures of your family or pieces you have collected in your travels. Adding a little piece of you to your shelves will make them that much more beautiful!

4. Use Natural Elements - Bring the outdoors in with potted plants and flowers, or add some driftwood or geodes to your shelves. These natural elements enhance the landscape of your shelving by providing a piece of nature's beauty to look at.

5. Use Art - Placing pieces of art in your shelves is a great way to create a focal point. You can place the art inside the shelving or mount it on the face frame of the shelving.

6. Give your Shelves a Pop - Use paint or wallpaper to back your shelves and really make them stand out. You can go with a soft, subtle solid hue, with a dark, moody color or with a bright color and graphic pattern. Either way, using this tip will help your shelving truly shine!

I hope you have found the tips above helpful! To get you started on the road to beautiful, Pinterest worthy shelving, I have curated 16 Home Decor Items for Beautifully Styled Shelves. Oh, and since the Holidays are upon us, I'll mention that the items below also make fantastic gifts for the Home Decor Enthusiast in your life. :)


Click the corresponding number below for item source information.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16

Happy shelf styling, friends!