Image Map

Monday, April 28, 2014

My Home: Basement Kitchen Marble Backsplash

 Hello! Today I am back to show you a little addition we made to the kitchen area in our basement. It had always bothered me that the builder of our home opted to not put a backsplash in the basement kitchen area. I have wanted to change that for quite a while, but just needed to get motivated to get it done. Well...a few weeks ago, I got motivated. The first step was picking the tile for the backsplash. The cabinets are stained with a beautiful gray/green color and the countertop is a gorgeous white quartz with tiny glass flecks in it. I wanted to choose something that would look cohesive with both the cabinets and countertops. I knew I wanted it to be classic, but also a little fun. I went through a ton of options...classic white subway in a herringbone pattern...Carrera Marble subway tiles, white porcelain Moroccan tiles, etc., etc. I finally decided on a 2" Carrera Marble Hexagon tile mosaic. It was the perfect combination of classic and fun. I also knew it would pull out the gray tones of the cabinetry and also compliment the white quartz countertop.

After deciding on the backsplash tile, I also wanted to change up the cabinet hardware from a brushed nickel to antique brass. I purchased some pulls and knobs online and my handy husband installed them for me. Here is what the kitchen area looked like pre-backsplash and brass hardware....


and here is what it looks like now...












I love how it looks now! I have more ideas in the works for this area in our basment. Think kitchen island and herringbone tile! It's going to be really good, I promise, so stay tuned!